Sunday, December 12, 2010

Antique Quilts

.




When you are a Quilter interested in Quilt History, you also become a Quilt Collector!  Something else to fill every corner of the house!  Can't help myself!  This poor Red & Green Quilt was brought to me by someone who got it at a lawn sale in the Rumford area.  I bought this quilt for the excellent workmanship and exquisite handquilting on this quilt!  The design is like no other I've seen; unfortunately, the reds have deteriorated; however, the greens are in wonderful condition, and such gorgeous prints!  No idea who made this quilt, or where.  But sure would have liked to have known her!!    I have been asked to show more photos of this quilt....too windy to photo outside on the clothesline today so I folded it into fourths and took a couple closeups.  Quilt is 96" square.  The pattern is Carpenter's Wheel and surrounded by an applique border (separated by a narrow 1/4" border).  The reds are disintegrating but the greens have held up very well. 

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find. I love the fabrics. I too have a fondness for antique red and green quilts and recently found one at an antiques fair. The red fabric in mine had also deteriorated but the beauty of the quilt was still very much intact and I plan to display it on a wall in my home. Thanks for sharing your red and green quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and I would love to have bolts and bolts of those fabrics ! reds and greens my favorite!
    of course I would love to see the whole quilt!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt. I wouldn't mind that one in any condition. Great you have rescued and appreciate someones hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you, Cyndi ~ rescue quilts are the best. Any indication of where it came from originally.
    Someday I will make a red & green. Until then, I admire. Congratulations on your good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. Such a shame that these old quilts deteriorate. Thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndi that is an absolutely gorgeous quilt...I'm so happy you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's beautiful!! Any chance we could see a picture of the whole quilt?? It looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Cyndi. I don't blame you for snapping up this beauty. It is the perfect quilt for Christmas display too!

    ReplyDelete