Sunday, August 25, 2013

More antique fabric study & Elegant Garden Applique


The quilt photos today are also 16-Patch as the last ones were.  The differences are that these are smaller blocks and 30-40 years later, 1870-80.  Cannot remember how I came by this quilt!  It is in poor condition but is worth keeping for fabric study and maybe "someday" using good blocks to make a small quilt.  It smelled pretty bad so I washed it.....in the washer on the Handwash Cycle.....the agitator barely moves.  Water turned black.....spun after the rinse and laid it on a sheet in the backyard to dry.  Still smelled.....so back into the washer it went and let it soak overnight......felt like I had nothing to lose!  After a second wash and hanging over two lines on the clothesline in the nice fresh air, it was much improved and I was prompted to take photos of it to study the fabrics!



This paisley reminds me of one in Barbara Brackman's fabric line "Homefront".


I have a close reproduction of the brown floral!  Wish more of the fabrics could be reproduced!



This the backing....one large piece of fabric with others along the edge.....don't know why we worry so much about backings these days.....doesn't need to be just one fabric and does not even have to match something on the front!
This fabric stripe is also along the edge of the backing........a nice madder stripe from the 1870's.

This is the fabric in the alternate block to the 16-patches.

A closeup of the large backing fabric.

and the madder stripe.

Here's another of my Ongoing Projects.......Applique BOM blocks by Edyta Sitar (love her quilts/patterns/fabrics!) called "Elegant Garden".......There are 24 nine inch blocks and I am stuck on #8!  

 Another thirty-three 3.75" Log Cabin blocks to add to the box!  That brings my total to 63......only 337 left to go!  Love making these blocks because of the variety of fabrics!  Work on the 3" Railfence blocks used as Leaders and Enders are accumulating faster (but I need more of them!).  Will photo the last bunch of 59 for next time!!

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful old fabrics. I always love the browns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! So many great prints in that antique quilt! I'm in love with that stripe with the tiny flying geese in the second photo! So great! And your applique blocks are all so gorgeous! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic collection of antique fabrics. It will be wonderful to use some of them someday. Your new projects are great, the beautiful appliqués and sweet log cabins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had some of that stripe and some of that backing! Love 'em!
    Gorgeous applique project! Each block is just beautiful.
    Are you paper piecing the log cabin blocks? They are going to make such a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the little stripe with the geese resembles another of BB's in the same line! Are you foundation piecing these little log cabins? They are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said: Wish more of the fabrics could be reproduced! and I wonder well, why are they not reproduced???

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous applique and love the teeny tiny log cabin blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the Edyta Sitar Elegant Garden patterns and have not made one block so you are seven plus ahead of me. I keep forgetting I have them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cyndi Love your Log cabin blocks and thankyou so much for showcasing the older fabric. Some of the fabrics are gorgeous. Gets one to imagining the depth of colour new :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your antique quilt posts are so interesting! I love looking at those old fabrics, and very seldom ever get to see anything that old in real life. Funny, I recognize some of those fabrics, I have some repros that are very close. So exciting to see the real deal, tho.

    I've been itching to start another log cabin myself, and I like the idea of the rail fence as a leader/ender project. Dang, I want to do it all! Well not quite, I'm not even tempted to do that intricate applique, tho I do love ES's work.

    Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is fun to study the old prints.
    Your LC blocks look great and you've got so many done!
    pretty applique too

    ReplyDelete