Sunday, December 11, 2011

Maine Variable Star Quilt c.1820

This quilt from my small collection is c.1820 and recently returned home after a showing at New England Quilt Museum in Lowell MA of Maine quilts.  The quilt is huge.....too large for my double bed.  For its age, the fabrics seem in remarkably good condition!  There are splits in some of the chintzes here and there and the binding is worn, but it doesn't detract from the beauty of those
glorious fabrics!  Lots of ombres!  The handquilting is very good.  There have been a few tasteful repairs which were done before I bought it several years ago....don't like the glaring white block in the center of the photo!




 
This chintz is the alternating block and I think you can see the handquilting.....









This last photo is one of the light setting triangles....sheen from the chintz is still visible.  Many of the fabrics in this quilt are chintz and I will always wonder how a woman in early 19th century Maine acquired such a large collection of them!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am drooling over the gorgeous fabrics! Thank you for sharing the close-up pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quilt. Lucky you! Those early 1800's colors and fabrics are my favorite, but so difficult to find in reproductions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt, and amazing that it is in such great condition! The chintz pieces are beautiful, love the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love love love your quilt!! You are so lucky to have that in your collection. Those fabrics are just beautiful.
    Sharon in Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful quilt! I bet you could spend hours just looking at all of the different fabrics. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure how i missed this post. Wow! That quilt is quite a treasure!! The close up photos were terrific.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete