Saturday, July 11, 2015

Stars in a Time Warp

From last week, Wood Block prints.  Want to know what woodblock prints are?  Early form of printing on fabric with designs carved into blocks of wood....... Check out Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilts blog here.  You will learn more than you ever thought you wanted to know!



This week it is Pillar Prints.........never enough of those printed!!  The block on the left uses an OLD Jinny Beyer pillar that I found on sale years ago and bought all that they had left!  She was ahead of time then.......should produce it again now and will find there is a lot of interested people  looking for it!!!




We are making Jo Morton's Club #14 small quilts.   Had not yet used the "Charleston" line and now I have!!  A small quilt made from a single "Burgoyne Surrounded" quilt block.



Any log cabin variation is a Favorite block to make!  These little Courthouse Step blocks are bordered with Jo's "Hollyhock" line which I absolutely Love!!  My quilt is not just like Jo's as I just could not break from tradition and put sashing/cornerstones between the blocks for mine!!  I'm an old "stick in the mud!" 



Two quilt blocks for upcoming Jo Club projects.....a darling little basket and an even darlinger little flying geese variation!!!  Geese are 1/2" x 1".......I made a paper-piecing pattern.....easiest way for me to go!!!



Had a good time going through my fabric collection looking for "woodblock prints" for Stars in a Time Warp.   Fabrics not marketed as "reproduction" often can be used, such as the following four that come from Holly Taylor who designs beautiful landscape/wildlife panels for Moda!  


 Same design as above but with lovely brown background.

The next two Woodblock prints are "Florrie's Favorites" by Froncie Quinn with Shelburne Museum in VT.  A collection of fabric named for Florence Peto, an early quilt historian, author and collector of antique quilts.


I LOVE this fabric below...........excellent Woodblock design!  Cannot remember where I got it or when!  Nothing on the selvage.  The quality of the fabric itself is not as good as what we are used to today from my 4 favorite manufacturers:  Andover, Marcus Bros, Moda and Windham.  But I had to use it!
In this closeup, you can actually see how low the thread count is!  It feels very thin but that design is wonderful..........maybe someone will do it again!!  Hope so!

I was looking through one of my favorite antique fabric reference books, "Printed Textiles....English and American Cottons and Linens 1700-1850" by Florence Montgomery, a Winterthur book published in 1970.  (Side note:there were 3 "Florences" who authored books on antique fabric/quilts......Florence Montgomery, Florence Peto and Florence Pettit......I always get a kick out of such little details!)  On page 176 (my book just opened to that page like it knew it was what I wanted!), I thought boy that looks familiar (a black/white photo as are the majority of photos in the 1970 book....a revision has come out that has color photos).  Then I found this color photo of it in the limited, but excellent color section.  A reproduction was done by Andover Fabrics, called "Cadet Paisley"......two colorways.....blue/red (document fabric....lapis prints 1808-1812) and brown/rust.


I seem not to have any more of the blue/red, much to my chagrin...but things often show up later.....can only Hope!






This print was also included in the book, and in the fabric line.


And in the gorgeous blue/red which I do still have some!  Isn't it gorgeous!?!



Will leave today with the following advertisement for the New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA.  I recently received the book of the Civil War Era small quilt reproductions (published by AQSG) and plan to go to see the exhibit in person as soon as Wendy and I can fit it in!!!!!


  The AQSG Civil War Study Quilts  are up and open for viewing at the
New England Quilt Museum.  The museum is featuring a gallery full of
antique Civil War era quilts from the NEQM Collection.  Several of the
antiques are new acquisitions and are being shown for the first time at
NEQM.  The antiques include the "inspiration quilts" for two of the AQSG
Study Quilts.  A third inspiration quilt will go on display as soon as
it returns from display in Nebraska in "Homefront and Battlefield."
This is a rare opportunity to see the three Study Quilts hanging side by
side with their inspiration quilts.  The exhibit will continue through
October.  NEQM has a Facebook page that often has quilt photos.


14 comments:

  1. I'm also making the Stars in a Time Warp blocks, and so far for me, the Wood Block Prints are the hardest. I'm still trying to work out the difference between those, and any other print. Thanks for posting your examples, Cyndi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look for prints that have an "airy" feel.....space between the flowers. Also leaves/flowers that have dark outlines with what looks like painting of the colors, sometimes two colors like yellow and blue to make green. Painting should look not too good....as if done with a brush.

      Delete
  2. gee, lovely fabrics as always and i really like how you use those large-ish prints in small pieces...i am always afraid to do that for fear they will take over the project....and thanks for info on museum, looks like a great exhibit. i let my membership lapse for the move but i might have to go and see this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having spent about 30 years studying antique quilts/fabric, I noticed that back in the day, quilt makers were not afraid to cut up large prints into small pieces for blocks. I love the look.......think it adds a lot of interest in the overall effect of the finished quilt!

      Delete
  3. Wow,
    you have gorgeous fabric, wonderful pictures. Must be pure fun to play with.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fabric, quilts, books...... one part of my life!! Happy to share and equally happy to see others' works!!

      Delete
  4. I'm dreaming in front of these wonderful fabrics.....your stars look amazing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably the first time I have kept up with an ongoing project......guess my interest is truly piqued!!

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy your star examples and all that gorgeous fabrics. I really like how you used the pillar prints. Does your shop have an online website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pillar Prints have always been a Favorite.....tho the reproductions are few and far between! Look for one coming from Di Ford (Marcus Bros). Do not have a website....only one of me and I can't do both! Feel free to contact me if you see something when I post new fabric arrivals......I do mail order all the time!!

      Delete
  6. I'm enjoying the education on Barbara's blog and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I can't wait until Thursday! I went to dig out my pillar prints and could only find one! Love your Burgoyne Surrounded quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your 'Burgoyne Surrounded' is gorgeous and loved Wendy's 'My Maine Quilt Heritage'.

    ReplyDelete