Tuesday, July 8, 2014

More Charm Quilts/Medallion Progress


Hexagons are a favorite pattern for a charm quilt......these are a bit elongated.  
Lots of interesting fabrics in this one....love the cat in the basket!
Nice Bird!  Upside down in the quilt and I did not notice to turn it!

We see that bright blue used in many quilts here in New England.  Pattern also came with red flowers or tan flowers.
At first glance, it looked like a duplicate of the blue but the patterns are different!


I think the floral at the top (next to the blue) was reproduced by Judie Rothermel about 25 years ago!  Hers was blue/tan and can't remember the name of the line but think it had "Blueberries"?  Anyone remember?
?


Here is that fabric again in the red flowers.....think it may have been Hamilton Mills in MA. late 19th century.
Nice Sunflower!
A little cherub next to red/blacks, also popular late 19th century.


What a nice selection of florals all in a row!!
1000 Triangles are another favorite choice for Charm Quilts.
This quilt has a lovely border....would love to have flowers like that for our broderie perse quilts!!

Looks like a cheater fabric made it into the quilt and look what it is next to....there's that bright blue again!

More Hexagons....this time someone with a deep, old scrap bag....you will see what I mean as you scroll down.....
Darling "Conversational" kittens and mice!
What's this?  1920-30's thrown into the mix!



Just noticed that I took over 200 photos of the charm quilts so there are lots more to go!  Am saving my Favorites for last!  Bet you can guess what those are!!!! 

 Below is some progress on my Hewson Medallion.....another round of triangles.  Next round is a plain fabric and then it is Sawtooth Stars....36 of them.....I'll be making stars for a while!  Love making them and have several fabric combinations picked out so I can sew whenever I have a few minutes!! Am using the rectangle/square method for the flying geese star point units which gives me lots of Half-Square triangle units for something mini in my future!

I love Medallions and have a couple more ideas I want to try.  Sorry the quilt looks like it has border already on the right.....I don't have a design wall so had to pin it to a hanging quilt for the photo.....maybe I should learn to crop photos (if I could corral a grandchild long enough!).  There!  Granddaughter showed me how to crop .....so easy I should have figured it out myself!!

13 comments:

  1. I love charmquilts! Like you see on the pictures there is always so much to discover, you can keep on looking at them. Thanks for showing so many pictures, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots more to come! And another exhibit of old quilts at NEQM to add to the photo collection!

      Delete
  2. it is lovely so far cyndi.....and beautiful charm photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyable quilt to work on....fun picking out the fabrics....trying not to duplicate. You are still in Maine?

      Delete
  3. I LoVe the Log Cabin header too...wow! 3" blocks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love quilts made with small blocks....only trouble is it takes forever!!

      Delete
  4. Great post! Those are some really interesting old prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never get tired of looking at old fabrics, or new fabric!!

      Delete
  5. Again, Cyndi, thanks for the photos. I am enjoying the close ups of those beautiful old prints. Good cropping job, aren't grandkids the best? Looking forward to the next charm show. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sawtooth border on the medallion. Any tips on getting nice clean points? Mine never come out right. : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the sawtooth border, I sew them oversized and then cut them to desired size. The second border of triangles is harder for me and I will be writing about that border soon!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Cyndi, it's the second border of triangles I was wondering about--not sure what they're called. I do my HST the same way--larger and cut them down. Love the rich mix of colors you're using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have photos ready of what I did....rather a round-about way as I did not want to follow the pattern......called for cutting a square into 4 quarter-square triangles, but I did not want 4 of each color! Hope to find some time tomorrow to post!!!

      Delete