Friday, August 20, 2010

A couple of antique doll quilts

These are two little antique doll quilts I made using fragments bought on Ebay.  Left just as they were, crooked edges and all, I quilted and bound.  The detail photo shows how I now do many of my bindings......a method we found during our documentation of antique Maine quilts that was widely used.....it actaully makes a lot of sense!  Start and end on one corner and miter the other corners!!  The first photo appears to have been made from fabric samples as the same design appears in several different colorways.

The quilting is actually my basting.  I handquilted three lines on the last quilt with the small squares and decided it did not look right.  Took out the quilting and left my machine-basting in place......looks more like old doll quilts I have observed in the past!!  I used Hobbs Heirloom batting and if I wash the little quilts, I think they will wrinkle nicely!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet little quilts- I must have ago at trying the binding your way.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! I have a soft spot for old doll quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute little quilts!I haven't seen this binding method before--what do you do with that tail, exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Lori! Your HumbleQuiltsBlog has been in my List of Favorites for quite a while! Enjoyed reading that little Peek into your life!

    ReplyDelete