Friday, December 21, 2018

Books and Log Cabins

 Blocks made recently include Pineapples from "Patches of Scraps" by Edyta Sitar and "Long Time Gone" by Jen Kingwell   Love them both!   

From Edyta, above, the paper-piecing for this 7-1/2"block is done on the printed side of the paper instead of from the back....easier......not yet trimmed closely or removed from paper to prevent fraying until I am ready to assemble.  Technique reminded me that we did this method back in the 1980's using paper foundations from the Little Foot people (Little Foot is a 1/4-inch foot made for Singer Featherweight machines).



The three 5"blocks, above,  from "Long Time Gone" are Pineapples done in the traditional paper-piecing method (sewing done on the reverse of the printed pattern).  I am planning to assemble this quilt as I go......these 3 blocks will be attached to the half-square triangle unit.

Then, I experimented with printing the tiny "Courthouse Step" foundations (below) from Pam's "Vintage Patchwork" onto muslin so I would not have to tear paper (in other words, also creating log cabin blocks on a foundation as done "back in the day"!)     Photocopied the patterns onto paper (two on a page) to use a "masters".  Ironed freezer paper onto old-fashioned muslin (slightly oversized from 8-1/2" x 11" paper size.  Cut to size with rotary cutter for nice crisp edges and sent it into my printer!  Worked great but I did watch the printer with a bit of trepidation hoping it would spit it out and not eat it up!



Fat Quarter bundles of "Harriet's Handwork" have arrived at last! And now sold out too!  New line "Susanna's Scraps" due in March (ordered extra FQ bundles!).  And don't forget Jo Morton's "Hickory Road" line is due in January.......it is beautiful!

Making tablemats.......made the first one for the church craft sale table and then others wanted one so I have made 6 so far using whatever fabrics they liked (second photo is mine made from one of my Mom's favorite fabrics).




Squaring 2" half square triangles from the leaders/enders basket!  Goal is to make a fullsize quilt for myself but some are being used in "Long Time Gone" that I am making from repros.



Have squared only 226 so far but I just do it in odd little bits of time so that the job is not overwhelming....but when it is done, I hope to be able to sit and sew and not unsew!

More new books arrived today!  

From Carrie Nelson, "Pin Pals", 40 sweet little pincushions and more!  And a darling little book of "Mini Quilt Blocks", twenty 5" block ideas!

 Also, from Carol Hopkins we have "Vintage Legacies", 14 reproduction quilts...........always great ideas! Love the cover quilt! And the 48 Moda blockheads blocks from six great Moda designers!


Whew!  Guess that is it for now!  Unless you want to see my newest little great-grandson, due Jan 15, but decided he wanted to be here for Christmas and arrived Dec 10.....weighed 6.5 lbs at 5 weeks early!  His name is Mason Todd.

13 comments:

  1. Lots of good useful info on your blog today, Cyndi, thanks! I've also run muslin through my printer successfully, but couldn't remember exactly how I did it. Your method sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks and handsome little man

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a perfectly beautiful Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blocks! And oh what a precious baby! You are a very fortunate great grandmother!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a handsome little guy. He does not appear to be that early--he looks healthy, thank goodness. Glad he is okay!
    I'm not familiar with the method of foundation piecing on the printed side. Interesting.
    Oh, I want to start on Long Time Gone after I get a UFO or two finished.
    The Pin Pals book was on the wish list I gave to Santa (aka hubby).
    You have so many great projects going. Glad you are getting time to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good to see you blogging! and congrats on mason...you are truly blessed with such beautiful grands...waiting on hickory road...blessed christmas and happy and healthy 2019! lovely collection of books too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mason is the cherry on this blog post! He is precious- what a gift!
    I'm going to have to look at these new lines coming in. I need to stock up a bit, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a sweet baby Mason is!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an adorable Christmas gidft.Congratulations to you and your family.Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas! And enjoy that New little guy. What a great Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas to you and all of your family. Especially the newest member.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Cyndi! I wish I was there for some shop therapy. I've used some, but not all of the fabric I bought there in July. You always have the best selection anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mason is beautiful. I can't believe he weighed that much, 5 weeks early. It was great to see you at Hannaford today, Cyndi. I love your mother's favorite fabric, used in the table mat you made, above.

    ReplyDelete