Thursday, February 9, 2017

Lots of New Stuff!!


New Fabric!  This is "Rising Sun" (18) from Washington Street Studios (P&B)......would like to make a small Medallion quilt  









More New Fabric!  This is "Star of Bethlehem" also by Washington Street Studio.  Sometimes hard to believe the brightness of the mid 19th century colors, but most of the Bethlehem Star, Mathematical Star, Lone Star (whatever you want to call it!) from that time period were bright colors!  Google it!  Here is just one from Barbara Brackman's blog "Material Culture" dated 1838-9!!








This little piece from Edyta Sitar's new book on small quilts "Little Handfuls of Scraps"  (32 darling little patterns!) consumed me for a time.....everything always takes longer than you think it should!  First of all, I thought I had a box of hst's already to go BUT they would finish 2" and I needed 1" so I had to make them.......could not bear to waste the fabric cutting the 2" blocks down!  



Pam Buda very thoughtfully sent me scraps of her new cheddar and taupe line................ first I made 4-1/2"" Shoofly blocks...then...



decided I wanted postage stamps to surround the blocks but the unit size did not compute, so I made 3" blocks...now will wait for yardage to arrive to complete!  




This is what I do when I want to sew but don't know what to work on (too many choices in progress!)...have only a few done and plan to make  49 for an 84" x 84" quilt.  Kinda fun to come across old favorites buried in the bottom of the box!



Sewing 1-1/2" squares together as Leaders and Enders.....still working on the 3" Railfence blocks as Leaders and Enders too!  Then, sometimes, I just spend a Sunday afternoon finishing a bunch of the Railfence blocks!    I like the little paper-mache box that I covered with wallpaper.....need to do more someday!  I like them covered with fabric too.....either neatly or primitively!



Sunday afternoons seem to be a favorite time to sew.....last Sunday I worked on this Tumbler for Jo Club #16.   Am using the small Crumbler template that makes several sizes by Miss Rosie.  Not sure how big I will make it......looks like it will be a runner....have used up most of the tumblers I cut but found I had lots more in the box that I have not yet cut!  So I will keep going until I think I am finished!



Then......had an idea that I should use the large Crumbler by Miss Rosie to make larger Tumblers using 5" charms from "Gratitude" and "Reflections".........may take a while...will cut tumblers in odd moments until they are done BUT the fabric just keeps arriving and keeps me busy cutting half yard cuts and fat quarter bundles!!!  Now the new "Reflections" line is here and Jo's Club 36 are here!









  Better go and check the weather......heavy snow falling!  Might be the biggest snow event for us yet this winter!  Might be a blizzard if these 3 conditions prevail for 3 hours (so we won't know until it is over!)........falling/blowing snow, winds 35 miles per hour (sustaining or gusts) and visibility only 1/4 mile.  Snowblower will get a workout but it is So Much Easier to deal with than freezing rain/sleet/ice buildup!!!

9 comments:

  1. cute edyta sitar pattern but i'd have to go a tad bigger...yours is gorgeous tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you are making. Oh, Cyndi, if I lived closer I would want to come and play at your place all the time. But how do you get any sewing done with all of that gorgeous fabric coming in? I would sit and stare at it and dream (and occasionally pet it). : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are very prolific. You have lots in progress but you're also making lots of progress on many things. Beautiful and fun work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I missed your little Shoofly on Saturday. Gorgeous! I am so engrossed in Edyta's new book. I could make every one of the little quilts in there. Looks like we are in for another blizzard on Monday. Hope you get to sew in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so envious of your snow!!! LOVE your tumbler quilt! :-) One of these days we're going to get up to your shop, when we were in Maine two years ago it just didn't happen. rats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many really good greens in that Star of Bethlehem line....nice! And your Shoofly blocks are so stinkin sweet! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going in so many beautiful directions! I love the variety of cheddar in that quilt! Edyta's new book looks wonderful, from what I've seen. Hope your power stays on and you can enjoy the storm from indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful new projects and beautiful new fabric in the shop. What's the best way to order from you, phones Or email?

    ReplyDelete