Thursday, February 4, 2016

What have I been doing all month?

Can't believe it has been 3 weeks since my last post! Have been working on projects but not finishing anything much!!  The mini-charm quilt from my last post is ready to bind.  Love the Old Cambridge Pike fabrics so much that I used them again for a small quilt/wallhanging.......Square-in-a-Square using a ruler I wanted to try from OpenGate.....worked very nice but when I went to re-order the Fit to be Square Ruler, the new ones seem to be able only square-up quilt blocks.  Guess I will need to check into that further!



New fabric arrived......"Georgetown" by Judie Rothermel.  From now on I will feature new fabric and shop news on my Busy Thimble Facebook page.....focus mainly on projects here and keep the posts shorter!! Here is the link.  Had to change the name to "Busy Thimble Maine" as there are two more Busy Thimbles out there.....one in Ohio and one in Australia!




Narrow Stripes are always nice for sashing for our little quilts!


Georgetown's focal fabrics are terrific!  Love these Jacobean-type designs!






This is "Chamberlain" from Windham.  Don't know why they named it Chamberlain because he is not on the panel of Generals!  Panel is called "Generals of the Potamac" and Chamberlain was from Maine.....a hero with the 20th Maine at Gettysburg in 1863.  Am right in love the the two serpentines....large, airy one at the top and the subtle ones at the bottom would be interesting sashing for a small quilt.  Did that once and it is one of my most favorite little quilts!




I have finally begun receiving the "Frivols" from Moda, beginning with #5 which is by French General.  The quilt is a chain-type and finishes 30" x 32"....these quilts are larger than I had thought when I ordered them.  Nice gift for a fellow quilter. The collectible tins are 4" x 7"......Quilters can always can find a use for these containers!


Frivol #6 is from Fig Tree quilts....a nice little Churn Dash quilt.....actually not that little....it is 47" x 57"!!! I am selling the Frivols at the EverydayPrice of  $35, which is 20% off!!

Ready to start block 11 of Elegant Garden by Edyta Sitar.  I think I will use Broderie Perse in this one to replace the four flowers.  I liked this one from "Lately Arrived from London" but it is a bit large....so.......



I found this Old Fabric that I think I will use.......it is Generations by Marcia McCloskey..........long time ago but I have always loved it.


 Tried a little Broderie Perse for this 6" block for the Make It Up as I Go Along 9-patch quilt......it's going to have a little bit of everything in it by the time I finish!  This is a print from Maison de Garance by French General which she redid in LeMarais.  The background does not look as different in real life as it does in the photo........tho it would not bother me if it did! 


I've been working on the 6" Potholder blocks for the replica of the 1843 quilt I am making for the antique exhibit at MaineQuilts this summer.  I should have 20 blocks made by now and all I have is 3 completely done.  The Lemoyne star is ready to bind and the 4 Lemoyne stars below are ready to quilt!



This block has been the hardest to make so far.  And it is a tad too big, but I am Not doing it over!   Hopefully, I can quilt it enough to shrink it in (hate to cut off the points but maybe I will have to!)  Also found the background fabric to be too light so I coffee-dyed it.  The stars are 2-1/2".




Next up is the orange-peel applique block....four little 3" ones.....back-basting really makes it easier!  It is the second of the only two applique blocks in the quilt.  And I will be making the templates for another block of  four 3" Lemoyne stars.....not hard but time-consuming because I am so slow at hand-piecing.....I enjoy it but don't work very fast.   Have to convince myself to stay focused on this and stop getting sidetracked with other things! Like Blogs, Pinterest and Facebook!!  So much to look at nowadays!!


Leave a comment to be in the drawing for the last box of fabric samples!!

47 comments:

  1. Loved seeing all the new fabrics. Do you have the panel "Generals of the Potomac" that you mentioned? Would love to see it and definitely buy it if you have it in stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not get the panel because Chamberlain was not on it! I may order when the rep comes again....really should have it!

      Delete
  2. Wendy in NH
    Hi Cyndi...look forward to seeing your potholder quilt hanging in Maine in July. That's a good idea to do the broderie perse.
    My great grandfather from Fairfield was in the 16th Me Regt, was captured at Gettysburg.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to see You at the show! Only day For Sure that I know I will be there all day is Sunday! And can you tell us the "rest of the story" of your g-grandfather?

      Delete
    2. Great grandfather was one of 159 in his Regt captured at Gettysburg while they held the position to help 20th Me, he spent 5 mos as prisoner of war, eventually got back to his regiment & served through the end of the war. His brother was killed at Cold Harbor, & his cousin from Brownville was killed at Rappahannock. His mother (a widow) had to sell the farm in Fairfield since sons not at home to help.
      I hope I get up to the shop before July!

      Delete
  3. What tiny stars and that blue is so vibrant! I like the subtle diamonds pieced in the centre of the blocks too :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is was a beautiful block in the original, but now faded beyond recognition of the fabrics except for a couple pieces of Prussian blue so I just did my own! The subtle diamonds are just like what is left in the original. Am blown away by the intricacy of the block patterns in this 1843 quilt! Two blocks contain the diamond rows in the center....wonder if the same quilter made them.....do not think there are any names of the quilt but I hope to go to the museum soon to see it again up close.

      Delete
  4. Your stars are so pretty against the background. Is the tiny log cabin in your header paper pieced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwynette (love your name!). The log cabin blocks in the header are not paper-pieced.......have more patience with sewing slowly than with tearing paper! Having said that, I do make p-p patterns for tiny flying geese and tiny square-in-a-square blocks.....because there are not many "crossed seams" as in a log cabin or pineapple block so it is easier to remove the paper.

      Delete
  5. Your tiny stars are so cute. I don't hand stitch blocks either unless it is appliqué which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing more and more Broderie Perse as I read blogs. Your choice looks lovely.

    Your stars are so TINY! How I admire people who have the dexterity and fine motor skills to make such small blocks. They're perfect! I especially like the subtle star in the middle of those four blocks. Very fine.

    Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new fabrics!! Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, love Judie's new line.
    Those lemoyne stars are so little. I can't even get a large one to look good! You are incredible. : )
    Would love to be in Maine to see your quilt on display. Hope you will share lots of photos with us here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing all the new fabrics, I really like the Georgetown ones. Your little blocks are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love it when you have a blog post. So the frivols are a quilt kit, basically?

    ReplyDelete
  11. deliciously beautiful fabrics, anxious to see your entrants! my gr-grandfather was at Appomattox for the surrender...his monument is in crystal...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm hoping to get out for a visit ... I have 7 out of 9 blocks made for my 'small' antique quilt - lone star and feathered star to go. hand pieced the mariner's compass. MaryR

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't do Facebook. One reason I love getting your posts is your fabric... I understand about time however. Beautiful fabrics and love your blocks! I'd love to get up to visit you this year

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine sewing something as small as those stars!!! Wow! Very impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful new lines of fabric and I really love your little log cabin quilt-my favorite quilt of all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love seeing the new fabric with your running comments and seeing your works in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't heard of back basting before. I will have to do some research on it. I am very new to hand quilting and can use all the tips and help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a tutorial from Gay Bomers of Sentimental Stitches....it was started, I believe, by Jeana Kimball who called it "template-free applique".
      http://sentimentalstitches.net/instructions/hand-applique/back-basting-tutorial-for-hand-applique/

      Delete
  19. Great fabrics. Definitely my style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great fabrics. Definitely my style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't it amazing how tastes change? I used to say plaid was my favorite color. Now I love chintz and EPP.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh, Cyndi, your large-scale print collection is so enviable! And your little Prussian blue stars are adorable. You have a trained eye for great fabric combos in your blocks. It would be so much fun to see your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous and tempting fabrics! I've never done broderie perse--your blocks will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've been so productive! I love the blocks, especially the last few where you used Prussian Blue. You really pulled off that antique look.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've not heard of the frivols until now. How many will there be? Do you get them all? How much shipping would they be to 28713? Perhaps you can email me.thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sent you an email.....hope you still have the same email addy!

      Delete
  26. I love seeing what you've been up to, and I always learn something new from your posts. My local is closing, so now I have to get my regular repro fix from blogs like yours!

    Carole S

    ReplyDelete
  27. Curious about the potholder style--completely bound then whip-stitched together ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Make a block, layer with batting & backing, quilt, bind and that's it....... make a bunch and then whipstitch them together (similar to the whipstitching done on English paper-pieced hexagons!

      Delete
  28. I have a huge Judie R collection. Started with Aunt Grace's ( which was my great aunt's name). She never disappoints in her designs!! I am still playing with my Dargate fabrics from the little kit from EBay. How did I miss this fabric?? Do you still stock any??

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so happy to see that really difficult block done. It is beautiful! And I seem to remember the original quilt has a few points chopped off, so let's make it original! I promise to "start" min this weekend! Can't wait to get up there. I have a funny story about the J.R. Georgetown fabric. So glad to see you have it. I NEED lots of that focal fabric in both colorways! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it for your exhibition quilt? Did not even know you were looking for it!!

      Delete
  30. Did you say the star block was 2 1/2? :-) We love to come up to Augusta each year for the Maine show and of course a visit to your shop - a most inspirational place!! I'll be looking for this quilt at the show. I do own one vintage potholder quilt and it is special to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a Maine quilt? If so, we (Maine Quilt Heritage Project) would love to see it! And, we have a friend who is writing a book about them who would like to know about it! Yes, the star block is 2-1/2"!! Fiddly little hand-piecing....could never do it on the machine!!

      Delete
  31. I love the new fabrics. I will have to check out the facebook page. I would love to win the sample fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cyndi, love all of your photos, beautiful work. I especially appreciated the close up photo of your Broderie Perse. I have been trying my hand at it and it helps to see close ups of how the shapes are cut. Thank you for your inspiring post...and yes, would love to be the recipient of those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You was in a wonderful trip.Love your eye fabric and sure you will sell all those beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Frivols are amazing no ? One for the name and second for the temptation !
    As usual, the fabrics you received are stunning.....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the new fabrics....and your Broderie Perse is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those new fabrics are so LUSCIOUS!!! I am going to have to decide which ones I HAVE to have... Love to win!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lemoyne stars! My all-time favorite block--though I foundation piece them.

    ReplyDelete