Thursday, October 30, 2014

Antique Quilts, Trip to the coast


On Sep 29, Wendy and I traveled to the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell MA for a quilt study group meeting and to see the exhibit of Rhode Island quilts.....saw lots of early quilts.....and some Potholder Quilts which I hope Wendy will write about!!
Let's start with this wholecloth using a bird fabric ........




Sorry for the blurriness!  Operator error!  We could not use flash so the photos are a bit dark sometimes.   I enlarged them hoping for better viewing....  This is a patriotic print from early 1800's that was wonderfully re-printed by Moda several years, called "Georgetown" on the selvage but it was before Moda began printing designer names on the selvages.  Moda printed it in 3 background colors: white, tea and light brown.



A small piece of the white background Moda reprint is in the lower right corner below, next to a piece of old fabric.
Love this "Yankee Puzzle" quilt......lots of scraps!  Border is another famous bird print from about 1815 that was done in several colorways.  A friend and I shared a 2.5 yd length of it that she found in an antique shop here in Maine. Think it is the brown colorway.....haven't looked at it for a while so I'd better look for it soon!





This is a reproduction that Fons & Porter did for Benartex several years ago.....line was called "Savannah".



Lovely Ohio Star with a gorgeous pillar print Chintz border!  This section looks like a "blended quilt" with its low contrast........






Isn't this bird print beautiful!  Sometimes there are two birds and sometimes the tree is similar to this palm tree and I've also seen plum trees. 






Recently-received fabrics include "Rue Indienne" by French General for Moda.....love their designs, and colors!
Nice solids were included in "Rue Indienne".
And this is the latest from Jo Morton, "Caswell County". ......nice Paisleys!






Columbus Day weekend was picture perfect here ......guess it would be Indian Summer.....warm days after having frost.  My daughter, granddaughter and I ventured to one of our favorite spots on the Maine coast, Pemaquid Lighthouse.  Water was deep blue and the sunshine was very warm!  Walked on the rocks,p Poked around the gift shop and had lunch on the way home in Wiscasset.........a most memorable day....
Sure wish I owned this house!  
As we drove through Damariscotta, we encountered their annual "Pumpkin Festival" unexpectedly.......a Very Slow Ride the length of Main St to reach the route to Pemaquid!  But is was Most Enjoyable!  I wish I had taken more pictures of the creative uses of large Pumpkins, but this "Pincushion" is most appropriate for me!  

One day as I was climbing the steps to my door, some color caught my eye.....the rosebush blooms in June/July so this must be the Last Rose of Summer for us!!  

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Beautiful old quilts, wonderful new fabrics and I even feel like I too have been on a little trip with views of the sea shore. Thank you. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. The New England Quilt Museum is on my Bucket List. Perhaps on our next trip north, sooner than later. I can't wait and hope to visit your shop again. Thanks for sharing. From Lancaster County, Pa....

    ReplyDelete
  3. jo morton has done it again! delicious fabric line....and true, pemaquid is so pretty any time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cythia, you've made me "homesick" for Maine! Hearing the names of familiar towns I've visited was a treat. I enjoyed my little faux visit this morning. Thanks for sharing! Loved seeing the antique quilts too. I have those reproductions too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing the fabrics up close and personal.
    What lovely shots of the coast. My daughter recently feel in love with a place in Maine--Two Lights Park, I think. Do you know it? She insists we are going there when we visit next year. Anywhere near you?

    ReplyDelete