Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Another Book in the Mail!!


Another new book in the mail!  Greatly anticipated revision of one of the "Bibles" of fabric history (Printed Textiles by Florence Montgomery in the 1970's).  As wonderful as her book was, it is now Wonderful to have the photos in color!  Have looked through most of it and am Really Reading this one (have several books going at once as well as an audiobook on Elizabeth I).  Will never live long enough to read all my books, but that's okay....won't use all my fabric either!!!

 Froncie Quinn designed "In the Time of Toile" and included the chintz print that graces the front cover of the book!  Her fabric line was based on a specific quilt in the Shelburne Museum collection (VT).


This gorgeous fabric filled a whole page!  Isn't it truly amazing the designs and colors used 150 to 200 years ago and that many have survived so well?!


This fabric is found on page 258 and was printed in Britain in 1808.......

This reproduction below was found, until recently, in my shop!  Part of the Cadet Paisley line by Andover Fabrics.


Arriving the same day was also the latest issue of Quiltmania......nice LONG spread of photos from the Melbourne Australia show!  Those Australian ladies make the most wonderful quilts!!  And I found a pattern idea for a quilt I want to make.......as if I need to begin anything at all until I have some Finishes!!



Sampling of some 3.75" log cabin blocks from the recently completed batch of 82!  Now I need to cut more red center squares and start all over again!  Can't really say it is Work because I Enjoy making them so much!  Will need 400 and have 177 .........223 to go......don't think I will even need to cut more strips as the shoeboxes are still pretty full!

This is the stack of 82 blocks......4.5" tall!

AND, I finished another batch of Railfence Leaders and Enders.  Need 576 of these little darlings.....have 268.......so need 308!  Sounds daunting but sometimes I just sit and sew them.....think I will finish sooner than if I just use them for leaders/enders!!  These 24 blocks would make a sweet little quilt and if I had not already made one in Jo's Club a few years back, I might be tempted to do just that!

Love looking at the stacks in the box but will love them even more when in a quilt!  Time to separate them into two boxes....this one is full!

This is my little Reminder that I keep handy......haven't worked on the little Shoofly blocks for a while.  There are other WIPs .......too many of them!  But, that is what keeps life interesting.....


And new fabric!  This is from American Jane (Moda) and maybe not intended as a reproduction but it is.......looks French provencal!!




Customers have said they would love this stripe for tablecloths!  

Have been writing this for several days with several life interruptions and finally have most all paperwork caught up so will reward myself for the rest of the day with some sewing room/audiobook time!  Fish chowder for supper will need only re-heating!

When I was in the fifth grade, I had a teacher whom I dreaded getting as I had heard she was strict.  Well, she turned out to be my favorite all-time teacher......no one was more strict OR more fair....you could hear a pin drop in her classroom and if someone acted out, a look from her was all that was necessary.  She had us memorize a new poem each month and I always loved the one from October  (December was The Night Before Christmas....a long one!)  Helen Hunt Jackson also wrote a lovely poem for September that I will try to remember time September rolls around!

October's Bright Blue Weather
O suns and skies and clouds of June,
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October's bright blue weather;

When loud the bumblebee makes haste,
Belated, thriftless vagrant,
And goldenrod is dying fast,
And lanes with grapes are fragrant;

When gentians roll their fingers tight
To save them for the morning,
And chestnuts fall from satin burrs
Without a sound of warning;

When on the ground red apples lie
In piles like jewels shining,
And redder still on old stone walls
Are leaves of woodbine twining;

When all the lovely wayside things
Their white-winged seeds are sowing,
And in the fields still green and fair,
Late aftermaths are growing;

When springs run low, and on the brooks,
In idle golden freighting,
Bright leaves sink noiseless in the hush
Of woods, for winter waiting;

When comrades seek sweet country haunts,
By twos and twos together,
And count like misers, hour by hour,
October's bright blue weather.

O sun and skies and flowers of June,
Count all your boasts together,
Love loveth best of all the year
October's bright blue weather. 


10 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome book!
    I love all of these fabrics you are showing--especially the one from the cadet paisley line.
    Each of your current projects is something I wish I had going. Love the traditional, scrap quilts and these are going to be wonderful.
    I had a fifth grade teacher that had us memorize poems, too,but I don't recall if we had to learn one each month. I recall parts of several, and most of one, but I don't know if I could recite one in its entirety anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an awesome book for those who love to study antique fabrics! Traditional scrap quilts will always be what I like best! I forgot to mention that my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Fitzsimmons, had a wonderful sense of humor tho she was strict!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Cyndi, I so very much enjoyed your post! your projects always inspire me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh love these on going projects
    love the new fabrics, you have me considering them now!!!!
    looks like a great book to add to the library !
    so great quilts in the magazine this time???
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! Your new projects are yummy and scrapilicious. You always manage to convince me I need "one more book" to add to my quilt library. The last one I bought, I saw on your blog first. Publishers should be giving you a royalty! Now, I have to research to see where I can buy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like is a fantastic book for any quilt history buff. Mines on order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh the fabric is sooo pretty...what is the name of the line? and all your tiny blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely poem, Cyndi- can't wait for another!

    Elizabeth MacLeod

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful poem! ...."Bright leaves sink noiseless in the hush of woods, for winter waiting"......I LOVE that! That book looks amazing....and those fabrics....wow! Thanks for sharing! I love your ongoing projects.....and you are really making progress on them! Awesome! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to read that book, sounds very interesting. Lovely fabrics, I especially like the Provencal type. Thanks for including the poem. Does anyone require memorization like that anymore do you think? But look how long it has stayed with you. That's precious.

    ReplyDelete