Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Once in a While....................

I do manage to finish a quilt!  Albeit a small 24" x 24" one!  I was not intending to handquilt this beyond the red center squares but was not happy with it......sooooo, I quilted each log and now I am Very Happy with it.......it is SO Cozy and Soft that now (looks crinkly as if I had washed it!)  I think I should get busy and make Many Many More Log Cabin blocks (6") for a fullsize quilt.  Guess I don't think I have enough WIPs!!  AND, I am ready....several shoeboxes full of 1" strips are ready and waiting!  



Decided to quilt these blocks as Jo Morton often does.......just a scant bit from the outside edge of the log.  I think I like it better than quilting down the center of each log!  (Except for when the last round has the seam allowance under it!).  When I handquilt, I tend to pull the stitches just a tad and I wonder if that created that crinkled (washed) look?  Maybe it is the close (1/2") quilting.........I soon must send it off and won't see it for 3 years .....hence, the Strong Desire to make another one soon!  Both daughters want this little one as a table topper so I will likely make another one this size and then a fullsize for Me!  Or............my Railfence blocks are piling up and will soon have enough to make the fullsize quilt top.  Maybe I should handquilt that one............good thing I don't mind working on several projects at once which, of course, prolongs the completion date of any of them!


Got some major obligations completed recently (Love getting things Done and off my mind so I can concentrate on doing What I Like to Do instead of What I Have to Do!) and can now spend time handquilting the Medallion quilt I started piecing a couple years ago.  Center (the Hewson panel) is cross-hatched in a 1" grid and I am now working a single cable along the 1-1/2" brown border.    




New fabrics for Fall have started arriving!  First up is "Crystal Farm" pre-cuts from Edyta Sitar!  She designs such wonderful Fabrics and Patterns!


Seven bolts of "Compassion" Collection for a Cause from Moda.   These first four bolts remind me of the old "seaweed" pattern (in pink, blue, mint green, tan, purple, yellow) that we could order from P&B for literally Years (about 8-10 as I recall).   Used them in So Many Quilts!  Lovely for backgrounds!


These little birds are darling..........love interesting  Figured Backgrounds!



"Sycamore" from Jan Patek....could not resist these large florals and leaves in beautiful colors!



I am also drawn to fabrics with colorful leaves!  And the tonal green I expect to use for appliqued leaves..........


Will leave you with this photo of the flowers my wonderful Husband had sent to me on our recent 36th wedding anniversary!  He is So Thoughtful!  I was floored when the delivery lady walked in the door!


Almost forgot!  Terry in PA who won my last scrap box giveaway sent me this photo of the Mugrugs she made with her Featherweight while camping this summer!  Aren't they gorgeous!

24 comments:

  1. Oh, I do like your log cabins; and great new fabrics too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been pondering what to do with a ton of 1" civil war strips..I keep going back to a log cabin..seeing yours today inspired me. Your quilting stitches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous log cabin. Beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute log cabin quilt! Super cute mug rugs too! (Other people's scraps can sometimes be the best)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful little log cabin quilt. I am very curious why it will be gone for 3 years.
    And don't you have a full size quilt like this hanging in your shop? I seem to recall it.
    Oh, such tempting new fabrics! Drooling here. :)
    DH got you a lovely anniversary bouquet. Congrats on your many years together, Cyndi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The log cabin (and an accompanying red/white boring 10" blocks) were part of a Ruby challenge at Maine Quilts this year. There were 40 small quilts (20 people involved) and a guild in NH asked to have the exhibit in their show. So, it was decided to offer them to other shows for 3 years. Everyone had to be on board with it. Am serious about making another as both my daughters want one! The one you saw hanging in the shop are smaller blocks (3" with 4 logs on a side.....the quilt above has 6" blocks with 5 logs on a side).

      Delete
  6. wee - love that tiny log cabin - beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful hand quilting and just love the little log cabins. Those photos are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love your log cabin. I made a small one like that once, with similar quilting, and I just love how it looks and feels. Hand quilting a large one would be too daunting for me. My hands would give out!

    I'm drooling over that Sycamore fabric, especially the large print in blue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your log cabin! That bid print is wonderful, hope I can find it around here--I should since it's Moda. 19th Century conversational?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is part of Collection for a Cause "compassion" line....not marketed as a Conversational but it looks like it!!

      Delete
  10. Fabulous log cabin quilt and the new fabrics are yummiest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hand quilting is just gorgeous - almost looks too perfect to have been done by hand. I'm ready to learn how to do that. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just start! Practice! Practice! Lots of good Youtube videos to see other folks' techniques!

      Delete
  12. Congrats on your anniversary Cyndi! 36 years of wedded bliss! How the years do fly by.... I saw your little log cabin quil in person...so cute....at the moment I am working on a pink, brown and ecru one with the one inch strips also....that is the cutest size! I cheated though, and made my "chimney" with a 2" (finished) square....like getting a head start! I sew them four at a time and that works well for me. Maybe I might take your lead and try hand quilting as you did...that would be a good simple one to start.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful little quilt as always...oooh i do love those little birds...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your tiny log cabin blocks and the quilting is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy, that Sonny deserves a medal! Happy Anniversary. That little log cabin is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the log cabin and your quilting is fantastic.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting blog Thanks for a great explanation.keep up the Good work...

    Embroidery Designs

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful little quilt as always...oooh i do love those little birds...

    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary (late!)! I haven't seen the fabric with the little bird - could you tell me how big those birds are? If they are small enough, they might be really cute in the little pendants that I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is one of the collection for a cause by Moda, "Compassion". I would say the birds are about 1" tall...

      Delete
  20. Oh, I do like your log cabins; and great new fabrics too!
    กำถั่ว

    ReplyDelete