Wednesday, June 22, 2016

See a tiny light at the end of the tunnel....................

Have been working exclusively on the potholder quilt and am thinking I really will have it done for the quilt show!  This evening I will either sew row #3 to the first two rows or handquilt a simple Ohio Star block (one of 2 in the quilt).  And.............have made a major design decision......one block I don't like (hate!) because it just does not look nice when miniaturized!  So I am going to experiment with making a block I have wanted to hand-piece for a while............




I don't have a photo of the entire block in the antique quilt but it is the partial star you see at the top of this photo  (the orange peel or robbing peter to pay paul  was the first block I did and it turned out to be easy Because I had already done a small one in a Jo Morton Club that was Appliqued, not pieced!)  The star block is a Simple Lemoyne Star made complicated with added triangles between the points..........thought it looked easy but spent too much time fiddling with it and have decided a 3" Lemoyne with those added elements is too awkward-looking.  Have to admire those 1840's ladies for their ingenuity tho!  


When my granddaughters and their families left after a lovely visit , I was feeling a little down so cheered myself up with making a miniaturized Panama Pyramid from Linda Collins' Facebook sew-along.  So far, I have made only one but will begin making more Triangle blocks after the  quilt show is over.   I just cut apart a diagram of the block from the machine-piecing template package into 4 sections and added seam allowance when I trimmed.  Block finishes at 3.25".  The diagram on the hand-piecing template set is a bit larger.



Here are some Panama Pyramid sew-along rows and blocks made by my friend, Bonnie......she has a wonderful sense of color and excellent machine-piecing skills!!  





And very organized too!!















Linda's Panama Pyramid Facebook sew-along can be found here

17 comments:

  1. Your fabrics are so beautiful! And I love the combinations you put together for those triangles.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all the pyramid blocks! They're awesome!! And the potholder quilt is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your projects, beautiful fabric choices! Am doing the pyramids as well, Linda gifted me a set of templates for hand piecing, am doing it as a project on the side, not going fast but having fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt will definitely be admired at the show! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I see the pyramid blocks, I like what I see and want to make some. So tempting but no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your potholder blocks are beautiful! That is going to be an incredible quilt, Cyndi!
    Love the pyramid quilts everyone is making. Have found it easier to resist joining SALs as the year progresses. I thought it would get harder and wondered if I just might succumb to this one, but have been content so far to watch the wonderful creations of others, like your friend's. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. The potholder quilt is looking fantastic!
    The pyramid block looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cyndi, even though I have seen these in person, they take my breathe away ever time I see them again! I can't wait to see this one together. The Gwennie sew-a-long has set me back a bit (although I am loveing it!) so I still have 1/4 of one border left to quilt on my repro, but I know we will both make it! Love Bonnie's pyramids! I like them with and without the alternate blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your potholder blocks are lovely. I have an 1840s Robbing Peter to Pay Paul in red, green and white that I've thought about reproducing. But, it's pieced and that intimidates me. Even doing it by hand. I'd love a closer look at your reproduction block (and the old quilt!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you not open to appliqueing it instead? I plan to take photos (with closeups) at the show to share next week! The Robbing Peter block in the original quilt probably is hand=pieced....will try to get close photos at the show, but I appliqued mine as I had seen the block diagram in and old Aussie magazine and a light bulb went on! Applique! And Then, Jo did an applique Robbing Peter in applique in one of her small quilt clubs.

      Delete
  10. love your potholder blocks and i'm sure whatever changes you make will be the right ones...and gorgeous pyramid blocks...if i had time i'd be doing this one too...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful blocks.Love your fabric combo.
    Fabulous projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like some tiny half square triangles in the cross style block you made for the pot holder style quilt. Very well done on your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen....it has been more of a challenge than I originally thought....more time-consuming too! But it is now DONE!

      Delete
  13. Cyndi the potholder quilt is looking wonderful--can't wait to see the finish, just wish I could see it in person! I'm also doing smaller pyramids but mine finish at 4 1/2" (couldn't wait for my template rulers and cut oodles of 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" triangles to get started (didn't realize those were the 'finished' sizes.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I wish I could see all those mini quilts at your show! Yours is amazing. Can't wait to see follow up pics. My Sissy moved to Maine a year ago. maybe I can get her to go as my "surrogate attendee." :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - gorgeous. I'll have to make a day trip to see the exhibit if I can.
    Looking forward to seeing your finished little masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete