Friday, September 11, 2015

Stars Caught Up by Accident!!


Loved this week's colors (not too many I don't like, actually)!  The first photo is my "bronze" selections, tho now I think points of the first star are too green!  That fabric is the reverse side of an old primitive print....a case where I like the back better than the front!  The next one is a color combination of light bronze brown, tan/gold that we often see in late 19th century quilts.

I think the golden brown with the green leaves and red berries qualifies as a bronze as well as the darker one beside it.  Why is this font "bold"?  No idea!



 Now for the greenish-brown Manganese.....please excuse the crookedness....working on a different laptop that doesn't have the nice Edit program on it!  
 And another Manganese that seems to also be a Cretonne print, which is this week's fabric less from Barbara Brackman's Stars in a Time Warp!  So, by accident, I am caught up!  




 Fabric arrivals yesterday were the Pre-cuts from Barbara Brackman's "Alice's Scrapbag"..............


Aren't the colors in her bundle scrumptious?!?!?



A few bolts of Margo Krager's "Polychromes" are here but will wait to photograph until after I remove the plastic.  Jo Morton's "Isabella" is due this month also.

Please note that the shop will be closed the week of Sep 23,24,25,26 for a vacation with my granddaughter.  

September/October have always been favorite months ever since I was a child....loved Fall even then!  And I loved going back to the school routine!  Here is another poem-of-the-month that my fifth-grade teacher, Marguerite Fitzsimmons, had us memorize....this was the first.

SEPTEMBER
by: Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1885)
The golden-rod is yellow;
The corn is turning brown;
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down.

The gentian's bluest fringes
Are curling in the sun;
In dusty pods the milkweed
Its hidden silk has spun.

The sedges flaunt their harvest,
In every meadow nook;
And asters by the brook-side
Make asters in the brook.

From dewy lanes at morning
The grapes' sweet odors rise;
At noon the roads all flutter
With yellow butterflies.

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer's best of weather,
And autumn's best of cheer.

But none of all this beauty
Which floods the earth and air
Is unto me the secret
Which makes September fair.

'T is a thing which I remember;
To name it thrills me yet:
One day of one September
I never can forget.


Wonder what that "one day of one September was"??



11 comments:

  1. Fall has always been my favorite, too. Your many stars fit right into the season.
    Oh, the Alice's Scrapbag line looks like a luscious collection!
    We had to memorize poems in 5th grade, too! I only recall parts of three of them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must have had to memorize 9, but I remember only Sep, Oct and Dec........the Loooooong "Night Before Christmas"! Wish I could dive into the FQ bundle tonight but have too many things going already.......need to see a "Finish" of something soon!! LOL

      Delete
  2. The fabrics and the poem compliment each other perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow lovely alice's scrapbag....ooh i want those too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Cyndi...I enjoyed your star blocks and the poem; also, the new Alice's Scrapbag fabrics are gorgeous!! Fall is my favorite time of year also; such a colorful season with great temps too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely stars! Pretty poem. I'm waiting for fall to come to CT. My favorite time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love see what repros you use for your stars. The colors seem to announce the beginning of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your stars are yummy! I thought of you as soon as she announced the bronze type. And that poem is lovely. I too wonder what the one day is. Maybe she had a loved one in the war. Antietam was in September. Hope I can make it up on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful stars. Love Jo Morton fabric always look forward to seeing her new fabric

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stars fall from the skies. I saw it on your quilt designs! Keep it up. You’re doing great.

    ReplyDelete