Friday, January 23, 2015

Quilts in Progress and New Fabrics

Progress on my Hexagon Charm quilt handwork project.....14 rows of 20 here with 6 more planned......400 fabrics.    Should have turned the second photo so that Lady Liberty would be right side up!  Handsewing is not Work for me....it is too enjoyable to be called Work!


On evenings when too tired to work, I can always leaf through the pages of a book of Quilts!  This one is excellent; I almost did not buy it, but now glad I did!  Phenomenal work from many quilters worldwide!


I just love this Lady of the Lake!

Long story about me and the Jane Stickle quilt.....mostly could not make up my mind about background fabric, do I machine-piece, hand-piece, paper-piece?
Really wanted to do all by hand but it is not possible.....am too slow at hand-piecing.  Soooo....I will do all 3 of the methods to be determined by each block as I get to it.  These two were by machine but #3 was done by hand (no photo yet). Will be working in order because that is the way I have to do it!  Back in 1998-99 I made up kits for each row and I still have some, but the reproduction fabrics have become so much better since then that I will likely not use many of them.  Tho sometimes it is hard to let go of an old Favorite fabric!!

Newly-arrived Today!!  Three great serpentines from a new company called Penny Rose!  Name of the line is "Civil War Times".  Only got these 3 bolts but maybe should have ordered the other 12 too?  I have So Much fabric and several lines are due in Spring.....starting with Jo Morton's "Hollyhocks" in February and "Mill Run Shirtings" in April.  "Union Blues" from Barbara Brackman.  "Bon Voyage" from French General.  Mill Book circa 1892 from Collections for a Cause.  "Sticks and Stones" from Edyta Sitar ("Laundry Basket Quilts").  And, 3 complete lines from Windham, "Tree of Life", "Ophelia" and "Edith"!  Whew....am I done yet?  No.....more from Judie Rothermel too!


This fabric came back-ordered and I want to mention that oftentimes
we find fabrics that Are reproductions but are not "marketed" as such!  The red paisley is from American Jane (who usually designs darling juvenile fabrics for Moda) and is a wonderful Paisley in Turkey red with the accent colors of yellow, blue, green and white.

Lots of photos of new fabrics coming up!!
This is "Community" by Moda's Collections for a Cause"and is based on a Diamond quilt from Maine circa 1840.








"Victoria Park" a new line by a new Marcus designer from Australia, Karen Styles.  Those Australians have such an adventuresome approach to quilts and fabrics!  Wonderful Jacobean-type designs with lovely coordinates!



Got this "Touch of Baltimore" by Little Quilts" just in time for making Prussian Blue Stars with Barbara Brackman's QAL that you will find here.

Now here are 17 bolts of "Judie's Album", a collection that is used in her BOM of a reproduction of an 1843 quilt........see photo in last blog post.



"Hannah's Heritage" also by Judie Rothermel.




"Petites" from French General for Moda.  Love these madder colors!
The stripes are just right to use for sashing in small quilts!

These are wovens from India that are of the same high quality as the old Roberta Horton plaids and stripes from 20 or so years ago!  Nice for backgrounds of both reproduction quilts and primitive quilts!


My Giveaway box is not yet full enough!  Needs to be so full that it is hard to close it!  Stay tuned for when it is Full!


13 comments:

  1. omigosh cyndi....what a stack of lovely fabrics....i could take a yard of everything....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must agree with cityquilter Grace. Each one is fabulous and would be a welcome addition to my stash. How did I miss knowing about you when I lived in Maine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see what's new and coming on your blog. I love to see what you are working on, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so in love with those serpentine prints! And I love all of Judie's stuff. The new French General in red and brown calls to me as well! Wish your shop wasn't so far away!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Janet - love serpentine prints. That looks like a fabulous book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a post! Your hexagon looks almost as good in the photo as it in in real life! I just love it. Can't wait to get the rest of the Judie's and all the other new ones!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I. Am. Drooling. What wonderful fabrics! Oh, I wish I lived closer to you. Maybe someone there would like a new sister so I could come to visit?? And shop? :)
    I agree with all of the others who have commented - at least a yard of each, please.
    I've had the Lady of the Lake quilt pattern on my 'someday' list - so when I see the one you've shown from the book, those lovely colors makes me want to start another quilt!
    Thanks for taking the time to share all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your hexie quilt - I'm working on one too! Are you sewing them together in rows? Or quadrants? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your scrappy quilt! Wonderful to see all the gorgeous fabric.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your scrappy quilt! Wonderful to see all the gorgeous fabric.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what beautiful fabric, makes me think of another wish to Santa, because they ar so gorgeous.
    Lovely hexagon quilt, great color and fabric combintions.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love reading your blog and seeing your progress photos. I agree hand sewing is not work, I enjoy working on my hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! So nice to see they are still making great reproductions!

    ReplyDelete